Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Overrated/Underrated Who Makes what list

A couple of days ago, my cousin and I were having a serious discussion over Tim Tebow and how he reminds me of Brady Quinn by being on the cover of every follege football magazine to start the year. It got me thinking and I started to realize the Tim Tebow is overrated, I know he has a Heisman Trophy but he's just Eric Crouch with a better arm. Then as I was making my case to my cousin Jordan, I was thinking about who, what and in the world of college football is overrated and underrated???

Overrated

Pre Season Magazines-It's not that I dont like them, but can you give me some variety on picking the top team to start the season.



Doug Flutie's Hail Mary-The final play was nice I get that, but Miami was not that good of a team that season, if it was the Irvin, Perriman and Walsh Hurricanes that game would not be on my list. Boston College beat a middle of the road Miami squad, enough said.



Bo Schembechler-Bo may he rest in peice, might have the legendary/iconic status but If you had to rank the top 10 coaches he wont make my list. Woody Hayes and Bo had good battles in the 70's but after Woody left OSU, Bo couldnt take over the conference as many expected

Cal-Stanford "The Play"-Yep, I went there. We all know what happens, Cal takes the kickoff back after making an endless amount of laterals then stick it in the Cardinal by running over the Trombone player. What people forget is the previous drive by Stanford and John Elway, Elway converted on fourth down deep in his own territory to capture the lead but Kevin Moen and Cal ruined that the next play

Underrated

The Pac-10-America needs to remember this conference before USC took over this decade, the Pac 10 was very good in the 90's and into the early 2000's. (See Joey Harrington, Marques Tuiasosopo, Danny O'neil and Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar)

Black College Football-This is something else that america needs to wake up to, NFL Hall of Famers and Super Bowl MVP's have played at this level. Take a look at the start of the season, while you Texas fans are watching the horns thrash some no-name school Grambling St. and Hampton will be in action showcasing their talent on various ESPN networks

Nebraska-Penn St in 1982-This was a game between two top 10 teams and went back and fourth until a late Todd Blackledge TD that was actually out of bounds costs Tom Osborne a shot at a national title, and who played in the title game that year....Penn St.






No comments: